Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Third Grade and Sugarcane are not compatible

This week I was teaching kids about seeds as part of classes on Plant Kingdom. The plan was that after I am done with the boring stuff I would introduce them something special that will not only be a new experience but also serve as a treat. The best thing I could think of was the Sugarcane! Although Sugarcanes produce seeds, modern stem cutting has become the most common reproduction method. Each cutting along the rings must contain at least one bud, which then grows out to be a new plant. While talking about ‘seeds’, I thought of addressing this form of planting too. After all how many of today’s urban kids who are glued to their electronic gadgets and consume only processed food, would actually know about Sugarcane, much less have tasted one?

I was right in my assumption. From the moment I entered the room with the 8ft long Sugarcane, the speculations were being made about what it was. The common consensus was that it was a big fat bamboo. I let that thought hang in the air while I tried to get their focus back on seeds. When they could not keep their calm anymore, the barrage of questions began.

What caught me by surprise was that almost none of them knew it was Sugarcane. But who can blame them for their ignorance! I remember Sugarcane from the road trips my parents used to take us on during our summer vacations in northern India. Wherever we went Sugarcane fields greeted us. We often stopped near those fields either to stretch our legs or attend to nature’s call. As a souvenir we never forgot to pluck one out of the field and make the next hour of our journey sweet by peeling the skin off with our bare teeth, and then chewing the rough texture pretty hard to extract the sweetest juice ever. My mother told us it was good for teeth too. I am not sure about that but we never had braces or cavities. Summer vacation and Sugarcane went hand in hand.

But now things are different. Even if we do take our kids on road trips, we never find Sugarcane fields along the highway, maybe because Highway planners have designed it to keep such fields out of sights of tourists. Regular grocery stores don’t carry them. Sugarcanes are available only in the Farmer’s market where occasionally the local farmers bring in their randomly grown produce. Even if the parents do find them, they steer clear away from them for the fear of creating a mess in their homes or the possible dentist’s expense when and if someone chips a tooth while chewing on it.

Of course kids know about Sugarcane and do acknowledge that the Sugar is made out of it. But have they seen it, touched it, handled it and tasted it? No. For them the Sugarcanes are only the raw material to create sugar. Very soon people would forget even that.

Anyway, after introducing the big fat long cane to the third graders as The Sugarcane, I offered them some precut Sugarcane to taste. That was a sight to see. First they did not know how to eat it. They held it in between their teeth as if afraid of blistering their lips! When I demonstrated them the chewing process, I was regarded as someone needing mental evaluation! Thankfully they still tried to copy me. But I must tell you; none of them liked the taste. It seemed like someone had given them cotton balls instead of cotton candy. I guess the raw taste of unprocessed sugar is an acquired taste and the effort it takes to enjoy its juices is something of a challenge for our younger generation used to processed food. I believe the raw taste of Sugarcane has become what is probably considered old fashioned or may be even ancient.

Either I am getting really old or our next generation has developed a keen sense to discard whatever doesn’t give them instant satisfaction. I am still hoping I’ll be able to at least influence them enough to keep their mind open for options. Can’t wait for my next class on roots. There is always something new to teach and learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment