Friday, January 1, 2010

Fenugreek (Oct 2009 Newsletter)

Never did I think working with spices would be so interesting and intriguing. Everyday I discover something new about the contents of my pantry which I so proudly show off to my friends. My spice cabinet is practically the center of attention and the backbone of my kitchen. I don’t mean the architectural details (I would love to change that aspect soon), but literally the contents and their varieties. One such item is a spice called Fenugreek. This is one name that has four different forms and various uses. This is in fact not a spice, but a legume.

Latin for "Greek hay" was originally cultivated as a fodder for cattle. It is used both as a herb (fresh / dried leaves) and as a spice (whole and ground seeds). Fenugreek belongs to the legume family (Fabaceae) - the same family of all lentils, peas and beans. The smell and taste of fenugreek is incredible. In fact just a little takes any dish to a different culinary level. It is very popular in Indian Cuisine and many times used as a secret ingredient.

Fenugreek is also one of the world's oldest medicinal herbs. It is widely used by nursing mothers as a milk supply stimulant. The seeds are steeped in boiling water to make tea, which alleviates fever and menstrual cramps. Eating fenugreek is also seen as a remedy for bronchitis, coughs, & respiratory problems. Fenugreek oil is used in the manufacture of hair tonics. Ground fenugreek seeds not only prevent hair loss but also type 2 diabetes. And last but not the least, the traditional way to reduce weight is to have a teaspoon of ground fenugreek with water in the morning.

There are a lot of details about this that even I got to know recently although I have been using it in my food for past so many years. I am sure there are many curious souls around who either might have this spice in their cabinets or would like to buy, maybe because the name sounds exotic, but do not know the ways it can be used. I would love to share my knowledge and expertise about Fenugreek by cooking three different dishes.

Come and cook with me and take your creation home to share it with your family. The dishes will be all vegetarian but similar techniques can be used to create non-vegetarian dishes as well. The workshops are scheduled for the month of November. Come on in before I use up all that fantastic fenugreek cooking for my pleasure. I look forward to welcoming you in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment